In the menu Tools-Options program options are separated into two parts: Recovery method and Additional. The Recovery method tab enables choosing from three available file recovery algorithms:
- Direct read. Direct file reading algorithm. This tries to find objects using tables and addresses from file headings. The quickest method, but very sensitive to errors.
- Recovery read. Recovery read for every DWG format version uses its own methods for searching objects in files. The method does not depend on tables or addresses. After all objects have been found in the file the program uses special algorithms to recover connections between objects.
- Recovery read + Direct read. Combined method. First recovery read is run, then the program searches for tables in files. If it finds tables, then it recovers a more accurate draft. If there is no table, then the result will be analogous to the Recovery Read option.
The Additional tab enables setting certain additional program parameters:
- Recover blocks without INSERTs. If this option is turned on, then for those blocks which do not have insertion points, new insertion points will be forcibly created. This option guarantees that all recovered blocks will appear on the draft. If this option is turned off, then only blocks for which corresponding insertion points were found in the file will appear on the draft. (Blocks, in this context are BLOCK type objects, and insertion points are INSERT type objects. Roughly speaking, if it is necessary to recover the maximum, then turn on this option.. If it is necessary just to recover the exact position of the blocks, without any extra rubbish, then turn off this option).
- Convert anonymous blocks to normal blocks. Autocad creates auxilliary anonymous blocks for displaying certain objects, such as dimension, hatch, etc. It is impossible to create such a block oneself. This option converts anonymous blocks found in the file into ordinary blocks, which makes it possible to recover them on draft. (Like the previous point, if you want to restore to a maximum, turn the option on. If you want to remove extra objects, turn off the option).
- Smart decompress. Use nonstandard algorithms to unpack data. These algorithms are significantly faster than usual ones, however, there is a small chance that they might miss some data in the file.